Sunday, June 15, 2008

A Few Thoughts on Firefight

As I mentioned previously, I am reading the book Firefight: Inside the Battle to Save the Pentagon on 9/11 (shameless plug), and I am about 120 pages in. As I am reading, all of the "debunking" evidence is going through my head, the firefighters standing on the lawn who nearly got hit by the plane as it was coming in, the first responders who noticed all the pieces of shredded aluminum from the fuselage or even shoes strewn about from the luggage, and the former pilot who talked about the stench of jet fuel that overwhelmed the scene.

After a while though, I got thinking, "this is stupid". One of the reasons I got involved in writing a blog on these issues was that I was upset that a handful of morons were trying to steal and corrupt our history, and here I am letting them do it. This book is about the heroism and professionalism of the first responders, not a rebuttal to a bunch of irrational idiots. I don't read a book on the D-Day invasion with the intent that it should be rebutting people who think that D-Day never happened, so why should I let these idiots frame how I see this book? Screw them.

Labels: