Monday, July 07, 2008

Another Meaningless Digression to Annoy Our Critics

Here's something I dug out a cardboard box about five years ago:



Christmas 1984, back visiting my folks with my gf at the time, we stop off near the Statue of Liberty and this guy is selling pen and ink of the Lower Manhattan Skyline. I'm a real estate guy and the artwork looks pretty good, so I part with the $20.

I tell people all the time that they cannot imagine how big the WTC towers were. From my best friend's house in high school you could see them, 25 miles away; it was the only part of the NY skyline that was visible, and at that distance they were finally tiny.

Yes, they were not particularly attractive or interesting, especially compared to the Chrysler Building or the Empire State Building. But they were immense. No WTC-7 because it wasn't built then; obviously neither was the World Financial Center.