Friday, December 05, 2008

The Other "Truthers"

Michelle Malkin points out that the 9-11 Troofers are only the beginning.

Did you know that Sarah Palin-haters are still trying to prove she didn’t give birth to her youngest son, Trig? These tinfoil hat-wearers are as obnoxious and unhinged as the 9/11 Truth cultists who insist that America engineered the jihadi attacks on itself. The presidential campaign may be over, but there’s no expiration date on Palin Derangement Syndrome.


Andrew Sullivan, against all odds, is still on the case of Trig Truth:

I begged the McCain campaign by private email and in a private meeting to give me something - anything - to kill the story off. I promised to run any evidence that would blow this out of the water. That offer still stands. Please make me look like an idiot for asking these questions.


Um, Andrew, you look like an idiot for asking these questions. As Mrs M points out, the press who covered Sarah Palin back then do not have any doubt that she was indeed pregnant with her Down Syndrome child:

“These internet rumors are very bizarre. We worked with Governer Palin many times in 2008. Our reporters worked her on location and in the studio and I worked with her myself. She was definitely pregnant. You could see it in her belly and her face. The whole idea that Sarah Palin wasn’t pregnant with Trig is completely, absolutely absurd.”


Like all Truthers, Andrew thinks the media are in on it:

All I know is: the media refuses to ask and doesn't want to know and failed to demand medical records. All I know is that some journalists - like the Washington Post's Howie Kurtz - even tried to discredit the integrity of bloggers for asking.


And he uses the typical Troofer dodge of "I'm just asking questions!":

I do not know the truth and have never claimed that Palin is lying.


Update: Here's a sonogram of somebody pregnant with a Down Syndrome baby, although I can't swear it's Trig Palin:



There's another form of Trooferism in the air, as Michelle points out, although this one is more common in the fever swamps of the right than the left. It's Obama Troof, which consists of the absurd claim that Barack Obama was not born in the United States. It's being pushed by Phil Berg among others, which is fortunate because most of the major right wing blogs simply Googled Berg, found out he was a 9-11 nutbar (from a January 2007 post on this blog), and dismissed the claims right off the bat. As has been pointed out, the State of Hawaii has confirmed Obama's birth and there was a birth announcement in a Hawaii paper in 1961. That's good enough for me, and remember, I did not support the Obama campaign; I was a McCainiac.

One thing I do like; everybody's now using "Truther" to indicate nutbar. Great job, Troofers!

Labels: , , ,