Top Lies and Deceptions in Loose Change 21-30
I am not done yet...
21. Claim: 200,000 tons of steel shattered into sections no longer than a couple feet long.
Truth: Sections of the World Trade Center, often hundreds of feet long survived. Source
22. Claim: Kevin Ryan from Underwriters Laboratories, the company that certified the steel that was used in the World Trade Center, stated the steel should not have melted at the temperatures they were exposed to.
Truth: Kevin Ryan worked in the water testing department, nobody claimed the steel melted, and UL did not certify it in the first place (OK, that is technically 3 lies). Source
23. Claim: Numerous firefighters and other witnesses heard explosions in the world trade center indicating the use of demolitions.
Truth: A jet liner with 10,000 gallons of jet fuel crashed into each of the towers at 500 mph. It would be suspicious if they didn’t hear subsequent explosions. Source
24. Claim: Ben Fountain, a financial analyst who worked in the World Trade Center, told People Magazine that in the weeks before 9-11, there were a number of unannounced and unusual drills where sections of both the Twin Towers and building 7 were evacuated for 'security reasons'.
Truth: Mr. Fountain only stated that his tower was evacuated. He didn’t say it in the context that the film presents, that this somehow gave them the opportunity to plant explosives, but to say that there were previous threats against the towers. Other sources used by the conspiracy movement contradict this. Source and here
25. Claim: Bomb sniffing dogs were removed from the World Trade Center only days before the attack.
Truth: Security was actually increased for a couple of weeks; this “removal” was just security returning to normal. Source
26. Claim: Seismic records prove that explosives were used in the World Trade Center
Truth: The Columbia University seismic center specifically states that their records do not support such a conclusion. Source
27. Mayor Giuliani shipped off the remains of the World Trade Center before anyone could look at it.
Truth: FEMA, the FBI, the NTSB and the NIST all conducted in depth investigations, including removal and testing of debris. An extensive report is available at http://www.nist.gov/
28. Claim: Not even FEMA was allowed into Ground Zero.
Truth: False, they were involved in the investigation and even produced the first report. Source
29. Claim: At the United 93 crash site “there was nothing. Nothing that you can distinguish that a plane had crashed there. “
Truth: Extensive debris including engines, personal effects, body parts and the black boxes were found at the crash site. Pictures of many of these items were introduced into evidence as the Zacarias Moussaoui trial. Source
30. Claim: Wally Miller, a Somerset County coroner stated that there were no bodies found at the crash site of United 93
Truth: There were no “whole” bodies, but over 1500 body parts were found, and most of the passengers were identified through the use of DNA. Mr. Miller later reported his findings on this. Source